- Corporate research and data analysis and visualisation
- Campaign strategy development to drive rapid emissions reduction
- Policy and regulatory analysis of national net zero plans and their implications on corporations
The ESG Research Analyst will work as a part of a small team in a flat structure and must be flexible in focus areas. The content will cover data analysis, policy analysis, and in-depth research of corporate emissions, investor trends, GHG protocols, regulatory frameworks, and climate risk management. The geographical coverage of the work is mainland China and Japan – fluency in Mandarin Chinese or Japanese is essential.
Position Summary & Duties
The ESG Research Analyst position includes the following areas of responsibility:
- Analyse emissions targets, scopes, and pathways of East Asian corporations;
- Research the regulatory environment for corporations seeking to lower their emissions;
- Propose solutions to support financial institutions in management of climate risk, primarily for investor/buy-side;
- Collect and analyse corporate and emissions data for the above analysis (using Bloomberg terminal, financial statements, government disclosures, etc.)
- Analyse industry data to understand sectoral trends, leaders, and laggards;
- Create visualisations of data trends to support findings;
- Conduct internal research on target corporations and investors to inform organisational strategy;
- Write external research on thematic issues (e.g. disclosure, ambition trends, quick takes on corporate ambition); and
- Represent research findings at meetings, conferences, hearings, and other public events.
Skills & Experience
The following experience and skills are desired for this position:
- 3-5 years of experience in emissions/environmental/energy research and analysis;
- Demonstrated analytical experience, including experience in creating and managing large data sets, in addition to summarising and presenting data.
- Experience in international research and collaboration; and
- Ability and desire to work independently to drive work forward.
- Fluency in either Mandarin Chinese or Japanese, in addition to fluency in English is essential;
- Familiarity with the Bloomberg terminal and data is desired but not required; and
- Familiarity with Qlik, Tableau, or basic coding for data scraping and visualisation is desired but not required.
- Preferred candidates would have demonstrated knowledge and experience in the following:
- The net zero organisational “landscape” e.g. including but not limited to SBTi, TCFD, GHG Protocols, MSCI ESG Ratings;
- Carbon accounting and classification e.g. Scope 3 emissions;
- Environmental and social impacts of emissions;
- Familiarity with the impact and responsibility of the financial sector in driving emissions reduction; and
- Supply chain emissions management and implications for the information technology and consumer goods sector is preferable.
Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time remote position with a competitive salary.
Benefits include medical insurance and a generous vacation policy.
Transition Asia does not have a central office. All employees can work remotely, or together in a shared workspace in Hong Kong. The ability to work in an East Asian time zone is desirable.
Transition Asia is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job. Selection will be in accordance with objective, job related criteria and the appointment will be on the basis of applicant’s merits and abilities.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualification and experience. Interested candidates please send us your application letter, resume and salary expectations. (All information collected for recruitment purpose only)